In a challenging economic climate with continuing budget cuts and increasing expectations of staff, sickness absence remains an ongoing problem that is important to address.
Anthony Collins Solicitors once again performed well in the latest 2019 Chambers UK publication across a range of sectors including several ranked lawyers.
Our Social Housing team in the West Midlands remains the only Band 1 legal firm – this extends to the team being a ‘National UK Leader’ in the sector including the Finance team being ranked Band 2. We retained Band 1 status in Clinical Negligence (Claimant) and Family/Matrimonial practice areas along with rankings for 13 practice areas which is an increase from last year.
Comments from interviewees across our Band 1 practice areas included:
- "They're innovative and forward-thinking. You get quality work and service from them." (Social Housing)
- "One of the best clinical negligence teams in the West Midlands." (Clinical Negligence: Claimant)
- "They are extremely dedicated to their clients and they rightly enjoy a very high reputation in their field." (Family/Matrimonial)
Chambers UK 2019 ranked 21 lawyers across different practice areas with special mention including comments for:
Band 1 ranked
- Helen Tucker (Social Housing): “She is highly enthusiastic, practical and experienced.”
- Elizabeth Wyatt (Family/Matrimonial): “One of the market leaders in Birmingham for divorce work."
- Rankeshwar Batta (Personal Injury – Claimant & Clinical Negligence – Claimant): “A razor-sharp legal mind – not just the head of the team, but the absolute heart of it too.”
- Jonathan Cox (Social Housing): "A leader in the field.”
- Peter Hubbard (Social Housing): “A very good reputation in the social housing sector.”
- Alex Elphinston (Court of Protection): “Immensely responsive, courteous and understanding of the wider issues in a client's life.”
- Elisabeth Howe (Family/Matrimonial): “A strong mediation practice and is good at getting results for clients.”
Associates to Watch
- Sarah Huntbach (Clinical Negligence – Claimant): “Really good at homing in on what the important issues are and keeping the case on track.”
- Chris Lloyd-Smith (Family/Matrimonial): "Exceptionally adept at dealing firmly, calmly and tactfully with clients.”
- Doug Mullen (Pensions): “Delivers comprehensive advice and has a calm and pragmatic approach.”
Up and Coming
- Gemma Bell (Social Housing): “A burgeoning reputation in the sector who is extremely well respected.
For further information on any of the work that we do at Anthony Collins Solicitors, please contact one of the individuals above, or call 0121 200 3242.
Social housing providers will routinely have a number of construction projects underway at any one time. It is essential for client teams to understand and avoid key contract management pitfalls.
A recent case stands as a good reminder to employers to be careful when distinguishing between pensionable employment under a pension scheme’s rules and employment under a contract of employment.
By early morning on 3 May, it was clear that there had been a huge change in the composition of many councils across the country.
Following our new partner announcement, it is with great pleasure that we can announce additional promotions.
Even those of us with zero football knowledge will most likely know of the shenanigans at a Chelsea FC game this season.
The gig economy, the tensions between it, and our more established ways of working are rarely far from the news these days.
The case of Network Rail Infrastructure Ltd v Crawford  EWCA Civil 269 will not win awards for excitement but is useful guidance when dealing with workers’ rest periods under the WTR 1998.
Non-UK nationals will surely be worried about an uncertain future, with much still unclear. These feelings will inevitably accompany people to work, and so employers need to be prepared.
Pension disputes in the LGPS need to be dealt with through the Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure. Join Doug Mullen for a free 45 minute webinar on getting the process right.
To receive invitations to our events, as well as information and articles on legal issues and sector developments that are of interest to you, please sign up to Newsroom.