On 18 May 2020, the Ministry of Housing Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) wrote to all social housing residents in England (residents).
Anthony Collins Solicitors once again performed well in the latest 2019 Chambers UK publication across a range of sectors including several ranked lawyers.
Our Social Housing team in the West Midlands remains the only Band 1 legal firm – this extends to the team being a ‘National UK Leader’ in the sector including the Finance team being ranked Band 2. We retained Band 1 status in Clinical Negligence (Claimant) and Family/Matrimonial practice areas along with rankings for 13 practice areas which is an increase from last year.
Comments from interviewees across our Band 1 practice areas included:
- "They're innovative and forward-thinking. You get quality work and service from them." (Social Housing)
- "One of the best clinical negligence teams in the West Midlands." (Clinical Negligence: Claimant)
- "They are extremely dedicated to their clients and they rightly enjoy a very high reputation in their field." (Family/Matrimonial)
Chambers UK 2019 ranked 21 lawyers across different practice areas with special mention including comments for:
Band 1 ranked
- Helen Tucker (Social Housing): “She is highly enthusiastic, practical and experienced.”
- Elizabeth Wyatt (Family/Matrimonial): “One of the market leaders in Birmingham for divorce work."
- Rankeshwar Batta (Personal Injury – Claimant & Clinical Negligence – Claimant): “A razor-sharp legal mind – not just the head of the team, but the absolute heart of it too.”
- Jonathan Cox (Social Housing): "A leader in the field.”
- Peter Hubbard (Social Housing): “A very good reputation in the social housing sector.”
- Alex Elphinston (Court of Protection): “Immensely responsive, courteous and understanding of the wider issues in a client's life.”
- Elisabeth Howe (Family/Matrimonial): “A strong mediation practice and is good at getting results for clients.”
Associates to Watch
- Sarah Huntbach (Clinical Negligence – Claimant): “Really good at homing in on what the important issues are and keeping the case on track.”
- Chris Lloyd-Smith (Family/Matrimonial): "Exceptionally adept at dealing firmly, calmly and tactfully with clients.”
- Doug Mullen (Pensions): “Delivers comprehensive advice and has a calm and pragmatic approach.”
Up and Coming
- Gemma Bell (Social Housing): “A burgeoning reputation in the sector who is extremely well respected.
For further information on any of the work that we do at Anthony Collins Solicitors, please contact one of the individuals above, or call 0121 200 3242.
For anyone who is currently restrained from holding their General Meeting or have held such in breach of their governing documents, help is on the way!
Social landlords may be surprised to learn that “landlords should be able to carry out routine as well as essential repairs for most households”.
Many housing providers are now re-thinking about gathering information to complete their data return to the Regulator of Social Housing, with the initial exercise having been delayed by Covid-19.
With many premises being left unoccupied (or minimally occupied) during the lockdown, both Public Health England and the Health and Safety Executive have warned of the increased risks of Legionella.
The Court of Appeal judgement in Booth and another v R  EWCA Crim 575 will be welcome news for local authority prosecutors and their investigation teams.
The Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020 came into force on 4 April.
The purpose of this 30-minute free webinar is to address how employers navigate homeworking; supporting employees whilst also ensuring that their organisation stays financially viable.
As we make our first tentative steps out of strict lockdown, many of us have been thinking about what the future will look like for charities, both in the short and long term.
The UK Government has, in the last few weeks, introduced a multi-billion-pound package of measures and financial support for businesses and institutions that experience issues with their cash flow.
To receive invitations to our events, as well as information and articles on legal issues and sector developments that are of interest to you, please sign up to Newsroom.