Good governance is fundamental for any effective organisation. In addition to being at the heart of the accountability arrangements, governing bodies are also the key vision setters and strategic decision makers.
Our team has extensive experience of supporting a wide range of not-for-profit organisations develop their governance arrangements and capability and is nationally recognised for this work. Whether you are looking for support in relation to multi-academy trust arrangements, collaborative and joint venture projects, trading companies or with governance generally, our team has a wealth of practical experience and knowledge to offer.
And for academy trusts, we have developed a governance checklist package.All academies are required to publish a ‘Governance Statement’ in their annual accounts and this must include a review of their governance arrangements.
The governance checklist helps governors to:
- see at a glance their principal duties and obligations;
- undertake the necessary annual review;
- improve the effectiveness of their board meetings; and
- put a clear audit trail in place in anticipation of the next Ofsted inspection.
The checklist is based on the contents of ‘The Governors’ Handbook’ published by the Department for Education and draws on our extensive experience of helping academies sharpen the quality of their governance.
- Governance reviews providing strategic and operational support;
- Governance training to support the development of effective boards and leadership teams, understanding legal duties and effective decision making;
- Regulatory support to ensure compliance with OFSTED, EFA and DfE requirements; and
- Constitutional matters including day-to-day operational support and advice on conflicts of interest.
We have been recognised for the work we do
Anthony Collins announces appointment of new partner
Law firm Anthony Collins (AC) has announced the appointment of new partner Julia Robertson to lead their charging team.
Tuesday 14 November 2023Read more
B Corp accredited law firm Anthony Collins welcomes new partner to grow its corporate practice
Law firm Anthony Collins (AC) has announced the appointment of new partner Laura Jordan to further strengthen its specialist health and social care offering.
Wednesday 8 November 2023Read more
PODCAST: Mandatory professional qualifications in housing: What do we know and how do we prepare?
In February 2023, a new amendment was added to the Social and Housing Regulation Bill. So as to raise standards, housing managers will be required to have, or be working towards, specific professional qualifications.
Wednesday 9 August 2023Read more