“To prosper over time, every company must deliver not only financial performance, but also show how it makes a positive contribution to society.”
(Laurence Fink, CEO of Blackrock, January 2018)
The times for businesses are unpredictable. We all see examples of businesses both succeeding - and failing - to demonstrate business being done in a way that enhances its reputation. Consumers, employees and wider society are embracing their spending power and choosing businesses based on their values.
We help businesses achieve financial success and demonstrate their values through how they work, in all aspects of what they do.
Every business can be better. There are many ways to do this from small steps, to big leaps.
We help businesses make sure that their values are evident in:
- Corporate deals and business ownership
- Contracts and purchasing
- IT, data and technology
We can help you do business for good and improve the bottom line. If you want to explore this, take a look at our Ethical Business Project - a new handbook for businesses or get in touch.
Some examples of how we have helped businesses show their values:
Corporate deals and business ownership
- innovative structures such as employee ownership, co-operative and mutual structures;
- embedding purpose in your business process;
- clear and open decision making;
- alternative finance/funding structures like community shares and social investment;
- accreditations and trade body membership which recognise demonstrate your integrity, such as B Corps, the Fair Tax mark and other ethical marks.
- representation of gender, BAME and encouraging social mobility;
- supporting diversity and going further than the letter of the law;
- equal pay;
- paying the living wage;
- gig economy use,
- “fair” employment terms and using apprenticeships and other workplace access schemes;
- positive climate change action clauses;
- ethical and environmentally sustainable supply chains;
- incentivising quality;
- partnering and collaborative projects;
- terms and conditions which fairly apportion risk;
- negotiations that are tough but fair.
IT, data and technology
- creating ethical efficiencies through innovation;
- maximising the value of data;
- maintaining trust in your digital practices.
- ethical buildings;
- landlord requirements - both where you are landlord or demanding it of your landlord;
- green buildings;
- quality of works and taking responsibility for repairs/management companies in a way that goes above the bottom-line requirements.
Construction and development
- true urban regeneration
- sustainable development and communities;
- fair payment/treatment down the supply chain;
- social value through construction;
- private/public partnerships that are genuinely driven by a common good.
For more information
Please contact David Alcock.
Select your type of social business
Co-operatives and mutuals
Business for good
The Ethical Business Project
We have been recognised for the work we do
In the second of a two-part episode, trainee solicitors Tom Corrigan, Precious Melia and Sike Olawale discuss what a training contract looks like at Anthony Collins Solicitors.
Cases involving large-scale IT contracts are quite rare and the recent case provides a useful judgement for matters involving digital transformation projects which have gone wrong.
Birmingham-based Anthony Collins Solicitors (ACS) has announced a raft of new promotions, including appointing three new partners.
EOTs have been aggressively marketed as a tax-free share sale, but that should not deter practitioners from raising EOTs.
Anthony Collins Solicitors scooped ‘Excellence in Client Service - Private Clients’ at Birmingham Law Society’s 2021 Legal Awards.
A party seeking to restrict another's commercial activities must consider whether such terms are normal in similar, factual and contractual circumstances.
On 11 February 2021, the Pension Schemes Act 2021 was given royal assent, setting out a framework for several major changes that will certainly be of interest to employers and pension funds alike.
Nine in ten UK businesses are on the journey to becoming more ethical as a result of growing pressure to operate in a way that benefits society, according to a new poll released today.
In the first of a two-part episode, trainees, Amelia Bauer, Tom Corrigan and Billy Richards discuss what a training contract looks like at Anthony Collins Solicitors.
International Women’s Day is not just another event in the calendar. Striving for social equality is a daily mission as we work towards building a society of gender equality.
To receive invitations to our events, as well as information and articles on legal issues and sector developments that are of interest to you, please sign up to Newsroom.