We work with large and medium-sized, registered societies and organisations that might already be using a mutual model, or are interested in exploring the possibilities open to them.
Our team at Anthony Collins Solicitors can offer support with the structure of your organisation, whether it is already established, or you are setting up a new business. Many private businesses already recognise the strong social benefit of trading as a co-operative or mutual, but do not yet identify or promote themselves as such. We can help with making that distinction.
We have advised many clients on the most appropriate structure to best meet their business objectives; such as the innovative restructure of the governance and ownership of the Housing and Support Alliance to become Learning Disability England, which broke new ground for a charity. You can read more about this in our case study, but this demonstrates our experience in:
- Advising how real accountability to those that use an organisation’s service can be built into the governance structure.
- Explaining how multi-stakeholder thinking, which has come out of our work with social co-operatives, can be transferred to different types of organisations.
- Working with co-operatives and mutuals to ensure that the voices of members are heard and that the membership structures combine accountability and democracy.
- Ensuring the right people, with the best skills and experience, are in place to steer the organisation.
- Providing plain-English guides, alongside the technical wording of new constitutions, to ensure accessibility to all members.
- Guiding clients through any structural or governance changes controlled by a regulatory body, advising and supporting on gaining consent where needed, so as not to slow down the process.
Taking a co-operative approach allows the public to own local services as members. It is a form of ownership that they hold in trust for themselves and future generations. They cannot sell it for cash, but they can guard and protect it against those who might be inclined to wrest ownership away for them and use it for some purpose other than that of benefiting the local community.
Our expertise in our specialist sectors of health and social care, education, housing, local government, charities and individual legal services, enables us to draw on a broad spectrum of experience, ensuring we can provide a full-service offering that meets your requirements.
Springfield Horseshoe Co-operative has engaged Anthony Collins Solicitors on a number of matters, ranging from employment issues and board training, to general advice on the Co-operative Rules. We are always met with clear and concise advice with identified resolutions, delivered in a professional and approachable manner. Where a matter becomes non-cost-effective in pursuing, this has been identified without thoughtfully-reasoned advice.Julia Pangbourne, Housing Manager, Springfield Horseshoe Housing Management Co-operative Ltd.
Find out more about the services we provide to co-operatives and mutuals...
Contractual issues, disputes, TUPE and pensions.
Commercial and funding
Supporting cooperatives with contractual and grants advice.
Helping resolve a plethora of disputes.
Governance and constitutions
Legal support on organisational structures and collaborations.
Property, land and developments
Advisers on leases, development and regeneration projects.
To receive invitations to our events, as well as information and articles on legal issues and sector developments that are of interest to you, please sign up to Newsroom.