Beulah AllawaySenior Associate
Construction and public procurement law specialist.
I lead the construction team and have extensive experience in supporting and advising on high-risk construction contracts in the housing, local government, health and social care, charities, education and social business sectors, including working as part of multi-disciplinary teams in delivering high-value development joint ventures.
I co-authored “Social value and public procurement: a legal guide”, which was supplementary guidance to Richard Macfarlane’s 2014 report “Tackling poverty through public procurement” for the Joseph Rowntree Foundation. I’ve also co-authored a number of public procurement legal practice notes for Lexis Nexis. Most recently, I contributed the legal chapter in the first book dedicated to achieving social value in construction.
I’ve worked on the following during my capacity as a Senior Associate: advising on and drafting construction and repairs contracts; drafting development agreement with retained affordable housing elements; supporting clients with regard to challengeable construction defects; assisting in high value procurement exercises; and delivering training to public sector clients on the application of the Public Contracts Regulations 2015.
Some of my recent work includes:
- Supporting Lincolnshire County Council in developing its 12-year highways contracts for works, design services and signalling on amended forms of NEC4 TSC and PSC contracts, worth an estimated contract value of £762m.
- Advising the British Library in its facilities maintenance procurement worth around £24 million, advising on contract strategy, public procurement and drafting the NEC suite of contracts.
- Drafting and negotiating the construction contracts for Riding for the Disabled’s new showcase headquarters and training centre.
- Producing a full suite of construction contracts, from demolition works to fit-out contracts and consultant appointments, for the Salvation Army’s Strawberry Field visitor centre in Liverpool.
- Advising on housing joint ventures, including a joint venture between Trafford Housing Trust and L&Q with joint venture objectives to develop 500 units per year rising to 1000 per year after 5 years to meet the housing need in the north-west of England, as well as supporting on the negotiations of numerous joint ventures between registered providers and private sector developers.
- Supporting the Pioneer Group on the novation of a multi-million-pound gas servicing contract from a national service provider that was leaving the market to a new provider, requiring multi-disciplinary support to mitigate the TUPE implications of the transfer.
- Advising a Baptist church on the development of its land for social housing. Requiring cross-departmental support from Anthony Collins Solicitors, the construction team assisted with drafting the Development Agreement, underlying JCT contract and setting up and managing an Escrow Account to facilitate payment during the development.
- Delivering training to in-house teams on putting together and managing standard and bespoke forms of construction contracts and professional consultant appointments.
Beulah Allaway and Martin Brown have contributed the legal chapter to a new book entitled 'Social Value in Construction', published by Routledge and available to purchase from 17 December 2018.
This is good news for many of our clients who are looking to re-procure term contracts, such as repairs and maintenance or gas installations and servicing contracts, using the traditional JCT approach.
What is it? FAC-1 is short for the “Framework Alliance Contract” which was published by the Association of Consultant Architects (“ACA”), and fuses a traditional framework agreement with an alliancing contract.
For anyone hoping that Brexit will give us greater control over our own public procurement destiny, the recent publication of a Procurement Policy Note (PPN) reminds us of exactly how quickly our very own Crown Commercial Services (CCS) can change the status quo without consultation or prior warning.
To receive invitations to our events, as well as information and articles on legal issues and sector developments that are of interest to you, please sign up to Newsroom.