Under the Land Compensation Act 1973, a landlord may have to pay a resident a home loss payment if the resident is permanently displaced from their home (subject to the circumstances and various conditions). New Regulations, The Home Loss Payments (Prescribed Amounts) (England) Regulations 2017, have been introduced that increase the amounts payable.

For displacements on or after 1st October 2017 the new amounts will be:

  • For tenants, a minimum payment of £6,100 (in place of the existing £5,800).
  • For leaseholders (who are entitled to 10% of the market value of their interest in the property):

    • A minimum payment of £6,100 (replacing the existing £5,800 amount); and
    • A maximum payment of £61,000 (replacing the existing £58,000 amount).

In preparation for these changes, you must ensure that your policies and procedures, together with any business plans for redevelopment which includes permanent decants, are updated to reflect the new amounts.

Further information

For more information about this article or decants and home loss payments generally, please contact Emma Hardman.

Contract management pitfalls – payment
Contract management pitfalls – payment

In the second part of our series on contract management pitfalls, we look at the risks and opportunities presented by payment mechanisms in construction contracts.

Standard of proof in suicide cases
Standard of proof in suicide cases

A long-awaited decision of the Court of Appeal has clarified that a lower standard of proof should apply than previously thought before an Inquest can return a conclusion of suicide.