Many local authorities have declared a “climate emergency”; heat networks can be a part of the solution.
Organisations can be entitled to receive financial assistance from the Government, in the form of state aid, subject to meeting relevant criteria. We help local authorities, and those they work with, to understand the criteria and make the application process easier and less time-consuming, especially when working on wider projects.
By involving us at an early stage in the project, we can ensure full consideration is given to state aid use, rather than overlooking due to its complexities and potential misunderstanding of use.
Our team has a range of experience and will work with you to meet your targets and contemplate state aid from all angles. We work not only with local authorities, but also with housing associations and registered providers, which enables us to provide practical advice using real examples, rather than merely pointing out areas of non-compliance.
Our state aid services
You would receive detailed and tailored advice to your specific needs, but we regularly provide advice on:
- whether the project is entitled to state-aid support;
- services of general economic interest (SGEI), such as transport networks and social services;
- de minimis rules, allowing small amounts of aid to be given outside of the state-aid rules trail;
- the use and application of exemptions – particularly the General Block Exemption Regulation (GBER);
- state aid as part of wider considerations when deciding on suitable alternative-delivery models for public services – including asset-transfer arrangements when spinning out services from councils and the buy-back of corporate support services, grant arrangements and other potential sources of aid;
- state aid implications when councils undertake commercial activities; and
- restructuring projects to ensure there is no unlawful use of state aid.
By providing practical advice we can help you to understand state aid and its various rules, and ensure correct application to guarantee public funds are used in the best and most cost-efficient way.
If you need legal support with gaining financial assistance, in the form of state aid, please get in touch.
Responsible for connecting public, private and third sectors through contracts, companies and community benefits.
We have been recognised for the work we do
In the event of a “no-deal” Brexit, the Government has now laid draft regulations (The State Aid (EU Exit) Regulations 2019) before Parliament to establish a national framework for State aid.
The Department for Education has approved the setting up of 5 new adoption agencies involving a total of 17 councils.
Another case that might challenge holiday-pay practice for variable hours staff has been decided by the EAT.
Anthony Collins Solicitors (ACS) won four awards at the Birmingham Law Society Awards last night (8 March 2018), including Law Firm of the Year (16 partners or more).
To receive invitations to our events, as well as information and articles on legal issues and sector developments that are of interest to you, please sign up to Newsroom.