Recent data reports that the financial cost of clinical negligence claims runs to a total of £83bn, but what is the real cost of clinical negligence?
At Anthony Collins Solicitors, we understand there are significant factors that may impact on the way in which legal services should be provided for the older client. We never make assumptions about a client’s legal needs simply based on their age. However, any of the following factors can increase the level of risk faced by a client, highlighting the need for bespoke advice from an experienced and independent solicitor:
- The importance of the proposed action, eg the person is thinking about making a substantial lifetime gift or making their will.
- The impact any decision made now may have on the person’s future standard of living.
- A decision to hand over substantial over control to another person, for example, when making a lasting power of attorney.
- Possible limitations on the person’s ability to increase their income or capital reserves in the future – what they have now has to “last the course”.
- Health issues that may cause the person to rely more heavily on others and so make the person vulnerable to undue influence or pressure.
Sheree Green, Regional Chair for Solicitors for the Elderly, was delighted to be invited to share her expertise in this area by contributing two key chapters to this new handbook; namely “Acting for the Elderly Client” and “Capacity and Best Interests Decision making”.
For more information
If you or an older family member need specialist legal advice in relation to a specific matter, or more widely in relation to organising your affairs, please contact Sheree Green.
Would you know how to manage an escalating social media storm? Are you confident in your plans and policies for responding to, and managing, a prominent ‘scandal’ in your charity?
The Civil Partnership (Opposite-Sex Couples) Regulations 2019 were made on 5 November 2019 and came into force on 2 December 2019.
HMRC’s approach to underpayment of the National Minimum Wage (NMW) is getting tougher and shows no sign of abating.
Now 2020 is here and we have welcomed in the new decade, it’s time to welcome in changes regards the contents of employee’s statement of particulars.
In December 2019, the Care Quality Commission brought its first prosecution against a local authority
The CIL was introduced under the Planning Act 2008 and the CIL Regulations 2010, which came into force in April 2010. CIL is a non-negotiable tax charged by local authorities on new developments.
The Court of Appeal’s recent decision is likely to be unwelcome news for any cash-strapped councils seeking to fund the costs of taxi enforcement through licence fees.
It is important that trustees are aware of the law relating to people who are transgender and those who identify as non-binary so that they can ensure compliance.
To receive invitations to our events, as well as information and articles on legal issues and sector developments that are of interest to you, please sign up to Newsroom.