This session is ideal for anyone who is responsible for data protection as part of their role. The morning will cover the following topics:
- Basic definitions – what does ‘consent’ mean in data protection?;
- Obligation of schools as data controllers;
- Rights of parents and pupils;
- Dealing with third party requests for information and data sharing;
- Direct marketing;
- Dealing with data breaches;
- Use of cloud services;
- Data retention;
- Security; and
- Data protection policies and privacy notices – what should they contain?
Please note registration for this session will be from 9 am for a 9:30 start.
With the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) on the horizon and tighter sanctions for those schools or multi-academy trusts not found to be adhering to them, it is becoming increasingly more important to stay up to date with the latest advice.
This session is designed to highlight what data protection risks and measures you should be thinking about to maintain the safety of staff and pupils as well as safeguarding your organisation’s reputation and complying with the law.
Who will be there?
The session will be led by Jane Burns, a solicitor in our governance and commercial team, who specialises in all aspects of data protection law and has a number of years' experience as a teacher.
To receive invitations to our events, as well as information and articles on legal issues and sector developments that are of interest to you, please sign up to Newsroom.