The Grenfell fire tragedy rightly continues to be a dominant issue facing social housing providers, particularly as it brought to light some serious construction and fire safety issues which impact directly on residents’ safety.
What is is about?
Although guidance from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government has been limited, and full central government response to the Hackitt Report has yet to be announced, social housing providers are under increasing pressure to take decisive steps to identify and resolve the issues highlighted by the Grenfell tragedy.
Our construction team is actively engaged in advising a number of social housing providers, Councils and ALMOs on Grenfell related issues, and this half-day seminar will draw on that experience to provide insight regarding:
- Understanding appropriate fire safety measures for medium and high rise blocks;
- Conducting effective investigations - practical steps for the investigation of defects and seeking recovery of costs from the contractor or designers responsible; and
- Resolving cladding and fire door concerns – dealing with procurement issues and advice for undertaking remedial works.
The topics will be covered from both a legal and practical perspective, applying our experience of advising clients on these and related issues.
Why should you attend?
The Grenfell tragedy raised serious concerns regarding fire safety for social housing providers. This seminar provides a practical and legal update for those involved in the continuing response to fire safety issues.
Who is it for?
Senior staff of social housing providers (both ALMOs and Registered Providers) and local government, including directors and managers responsible for asset management, procuring construction contracts, and delivering works.
Breakfast will be provided
- 09:00 Registration and networking for a 09:30 start
- 11:00 Coffee break
- 12:45 Q&A, summary and closing remarks
- 13:00 Close
Who will be there?
- Richard Brooks - Anthony Collins Solicitors
- Andrew Lancaster - Anthony Collins Solicitors
- Kieran Binnie - Anthony Collins Solicitors
- Jonathan Herrick, formerly the Chief Fire Officers Association (CFOA) Lead for Better Regulation, and advisor to Central Government regarding the outcomes of the Grenfell Tower tragedy.
Guest speaker Jonathan Herrick will provide practical advice regarding fire safety. A serving member of the Fire Service for 26 years, Jonathan is currently advising Central Government on its response to the Hackitt Report, which gives him a unique position from which to discuss fire safety measures.
Please be aware that places for this seminar are limited. Our clients get priority over non- clients but we will endeavour to increase capacity where we can to allow all those who wish to attend a place. Where we are heavily oversubscribed we will limit places to one or two people per organisation in which case you may be asked to liaise with your team. Should we have to do any of the above we will be in touch with you at least 2 weeks before the event date.
Where can I contact the organiser with any questions? Please email us at email@example.com and a member of our events team will be in touch.
Can I invite my colleagues to this event? Feel free to forward an invitation to any of your colleagues you believe can benefit from attending.
I want to attend but can't make the date/s. Will you repeat this? Even though we may not repeat this specific seminar again, we hold lots of other events that may be of relevance to you so please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your chosen areas of interest.
To receive invitations to our events, as well as information and articles on legal issues and sector developments that are of interest to you, please sign up to Newsroom.