In the fourth part of our series on contract management pitfalls, we look at the risks arising out of varying the terms of construction contracts.
Our personal injury and clinical negligence team has an envious national reputation and is consistently ranked as a leading department in its field by Chambers UK and Legal 500. There is now a need to recruit a part time costs lawyer on the basis of a 25-30 hour week and on an initial 18 month fixed term contract, on the conclusion of which there is a possibility the role can be extended or made permanent.
You will be responsible for the following:
- Preparation of detailed costs budgets in accordance with court directions and timetable;
- Preparation of detailed bills of costs, schedules for agreement, estimates of costs, statements of costs for summary assessment and Legal Aid Agency claim forms relating to Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence claims;
- Drafting Replies to Points of Dispute and entering into costs negotiations;
- Lodging/submitting bills and claims for assessment by the courts or Legal Aid Agency as appropriate;
- Providing advice and support in relation to costs and funding to fee earners as needed;
- Attending and undertaking advocacy, where appropriate, at detailed assessment and costs management hearings.
Strong candidates will have experience of:
- Previous experience in a legal costs role;
- Knowledge of costs law and practice;
- Knowledge of the Legal Aid Agency Costs Regulations;
- Ability to understand and formulate legal argument;
- Excellent IT skills, including CostsMaster software.
A local authority recently received a "roasting" by the Pensions Ombudsman for their delay in processing an employee’s ill-health retirement pension, following her diagnosis with advanced cancer.
The Times is looking for three or four charities to feature in their editions running in December 2019 and early January 2020.
Cliff Mills defines and talks about the importance of social value in his blog, and its potential within Greater Manchester.
Following a power outage at Anthony Collins Solicitors’ (ACS) Birmingham office, our employees and partners currently have limited functionality, including no access to emails.
Joint ventures present an opportunity for housing associations to build organisational capacity, the revenues from which could help deliver on wider social housing commitments.
Residents are now unable to make applications to prohibit landlords from seeking to recover the cost of legal proceedings through the service charge on behalf of other residents, without consent.
Natalie Barbosa summarises some of the legal challenges facing fundraisers in the charity sector.
We hosted a breakfast roundtable with Insider Midlands magazine that had attendees from a range of organisations addressing housing needs in the Midlands. The discussion explored JVs in more detail.
The decision of the Court of Appeal in The Harpur Trust v Brazel & Unison has made clear that employers can no longer legally calculate part-time holiday based on 12.07% of hours worked over a year.