The Pensions Ombudsman has awarded £2,000 compensation to a member who was allowed to contribute to the NHS Pension Scheme for 13 years, even...
Organisations can be entitled to receive financial assistance from the Government, in the form of state aid, subject to meeting relevant criteria. We help local authorities, and those they work with, to understand the criteria and make the application process easier and less time-consuming, especially when working on wider projects.
By involving us at an early stage in the project, we can ensure full consideration is given to state aid use, rather than overlooking due to its complexities and potential misunderstanding of use.
Our team has a range of experience and will work with you to meet your targets and contemplate state aid from all angles. We work not only with local authorities, but also with housing associations and registered providers, which enables us to provide practical advice using real examples, rather than merely pointing out areas of non-compliance.
Our state aid services
You would receive detailed and tailored advice to your specific needs, but we regularly provide advice on:
- whether the project is entitled to state-aid support;
- services of general economic interest (SGEI), such as transport networks and social services;
- de minimis rules, allowing small amounts of aid to be given outside of the state-aid rules trail;
- the use and application of exemptions – particularly the General Block Exemption Regulation (GBER);
- state aid as part of wider considerations when deciding on suitable alternative-delivery models for public services – including asset-transfer arrangements when spinning out services from councils and the buy-back of corporate support services, grant arrangements and other potential sources of aid;
- state aid implications when councils undertake commercial activities; and
- restructuring projects to ensure there is no unlawful use of state aid.
By providing practical advice we can help you to understand state aid and its various rules, and ensure correct application to guarantee public funds are used in the best and most cost-efficient way.
If you need legal support with gaining financial assistance, in the form of state aid, please get in touch.
We have been recognised for the work we do
So, the results are in. The gamble of calling an early election has blown up spectacularly in Theresa May’s face, but at the time...
Starting with the bad news, the Autumn Statement didn’t illustrate dramatically that the Chancellor is moving away from the previous Chancellor’s austerity plans. Other...
“Steady as she goes”, might have been the motto for the Chancellor’s speech yesterday. But this was a speech drained of options and courage...
We are proud to announce the release of our 2016 Annual Report.
The citizens of the UK voted to leave the EU in June 2016 and as we continue to await the trigger of Article 50,...
To receive invitations to our events, as well as information and articles on legal issues and sector developments that are of interest to you, please sign up to Newsroom.